Gelotte: Book Design for
Providing a rewarding means of getting your personal and uplifting message to the public, Mark Gelotte Design will create a book you can be proud of. Whether it is a paperback, hard cover or an e-book, your published book will become a tangible and visual part of your vision. Located in Sedona Arizona and servicing authors throughout the USA.
What is the art of good book design?
• A good book design attracts attention through it's Cover Art. Whether a book is in a bookstore, an online book/e-book distributer, or at a seminar's sales booth, the cover conveys an impression of the written material and it beckons the reader to explore what’s inside. Combined with a compelling title, an eye-catching cover will attract a potential reader from the hundreds of titles that are all competing with each other.
• A good book design makes reading an easy and enjoyable experience by wisely using Typesetting and Formatting with the reader in mind. The font choices, the spacing of lines and margins, the size of type, and the ability to navigate the chapters all contribute to the reading experience. With the creative use of these elements, the mood is set for the reader to receive the author's message.
• A good book design has the ability to Illustrate concepts beyond the written word. Using photography, charts, diagrams or custom illustrations, an author can extend the message into visual cues of understanding. Artwork can emphasize important points or provide relief to long passages of text. Photography can illustrate a moment in time to add life to the text. With a background as an artist and painter, Mark can creatively illustrate the ideas of any author.
• A good book design is an extension of the Author. How attractive a book looks is the first impression by the reader of the author. How an author feels about the professionalism of their printed book will contribute to their confidence in selling it. Mark's ability to create a unique look to every book and to understand the vision of the author has led his clients to return with new and exciting projects.
More than a book?
E-books add an additional market for readers either before, after, or in lieu of your printed copy. With either an ePUB version or a Kindle format, your e-book can be created for digital viewing. Confused as to which version is best for you? This recent survey shows how printed and digital books are used by the public:
Often an author wants to provide an audio version of their book as a separate CD/DVD package. A CD/DVD can relay instructions, meditations, video examples or music. In addition, brochures, bookmarks, magazine ads, and a website can be designed to market your book so all your advertising to the public looks compatible and professional.
How much will a book design cost?
Book design cost is dependent on many factors ranging from page count, cover design, and interior graphics. Generally, a basic book over 200 pages will be charged at $3 per page plus a setup fee but an estimate will be given for any book project. Additional costs are with illustrations, graphs/tables, photos, logos, or additional cover designs requested. Special formatting, footnotes, index, end notes, and/or bibliography will also require a price quote.
If you only wish a cover design for your book, please contact me at the email link below.
For additional graphic design to supplement your book, an estimate will be given for projects such as brochures, bookmarks, rack cards, web-pages, etc..
How long will it take?
Usually 4-8 weeks to go to press upon receiving your edited manuscript. A fact of book design is that seeing their words typeset in it's final form, a new author will often revise their book as the "reality" of printing sets in. Delays can happen with this and this should be a consideration in the time-frame to market.
What printers have you worked with?
The Print-On-Demand printers I work with are CreateSpace, Lightning Source, LuLu, iUniverse, as well as many smaller independent book printers. Also I have experience with traditional offset printing in quantity both in the USA and China. Hardback and Softcover. Oversize and Standard. Color and Black & White.
How do you want my book manuscript?
A Microsoft Word document is standard. Using MS Word's STYLES for Headings, Subtitles, Quoted text, and Lists are requested. For included photographs in a book, the highest resolution JPEG or TIFF file is ideal. Scanning services for your photographs and artwork are available.
The formatting and creative process is done on Mac computers with Windows programs used as a supplement. The following software is a few used at Mark Gelotte design:
- Microsoft Office (Word/Excel) to process your manuscript from a PC or a Mac
- NeoOffice and Pages to process your manuscript from a PC to Mac
- Adobe InDesign to design, format and typeset your book/ e-book
- QuarkXPress to design, format and typeset your book/ e-book
- Adobe Photoshop to prepare photos, retouch photos, illustration, and create
- Corel Painter to illustrate covers and interior artwork
- Freehand and Illustrator to design covers, diagrams, symbols, and artwork
- Adobe Acrobat to prepare the final book to a printer's specifications or to copy-protect and hyperlink an e-book.
- Calibre for e-library management and e-book format conversion.
"Whether it is traditional printing of your book or the fast-growing Print On Demand and ePub world, I can keep you up-to-date with your book project. Let's talk!"
— Mark Gelotte
P.O. Box 812
Sedona, Arizona 86339-0812
Email link below: